Welcome to our weekly “Jolt of Joy” newsletter. This is Artistlz’ last week in the spotlight; Boodlz will be featured all next month. This week we will learn about the benefits of coloring. Since it is so fun and relaxing, we are hosting a coloring contest and look forward to having you JOYn us! You’ll get a chance to color in a new Joyblz! character and win a free sticker of your choice. So, pull out your crayons, colored pencils, and markers and start coloring with Artistlz!
The image above shows my attempt at coloring in an owl from an adult coloring book that a friend gave me. I found the exercise to be very meditative. It reminded me of all the hours I spent as a child with my crayons and coloring books. I have such fond memories of my mother displaying my artwork on the refrigerator. I also enjoyed participating in the local grocery store’s coloring contests. Continue reading to JOYn our coloring contest and learn more about the benefits of adult coloring …
Adult Coloring Books
Coloring books are no longer just for the kids! A niche market of adult coloring books became a huge trend in 2012 and grew to over 12 million books sold in 2015. Coloring books have become even more popular during the pandemic since they are a great source of self-care. I’ve recently been coloring in mandalas, exotic animals, and secret gardens with a variety of colored pencils and crayons. I’ve even tried using a new genre of draw-it-yourself coloring books to scribble, doodle, and draw my stress away. It’s been so relaxing and fun. Here are the links to the books that I’m using:
- Living Wonders COLOR ART for everyone
- Drawing Your Stress Away: A Draw-It-Yourself Coloring Book
- Hello, This Is Your Body Talking: A Draw-It-Yourself Coloring Book
- Coloring Book For Adults: 100 Mandalas: Stress Relieving Mandala Designs for Adults Relaxation
- Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book
Benefits of Adult Coloring with Artistlz
Artistlz loves to color and wants to share with you some of the benefits of adult coloring.
- Reduces stress and anxiety: By focusing on the activity of coloring, your brain tends to relax. The amygdala, the part of your brain involved in the fear response, gets a rest and it calms you down.
- Helps you to be mindful: When you spend time coloring the more complex designs in adult coloring pages, such as mandalas, you focus on the present moment and worrisome thoughts tend to fade away. It is very much like a meditative exercise.
- Exercises the entire brain: It is a task that exercises both the right and left brain, something similar to a “full brain” workout. While logic helps you stay inside the lines, choosing colors generates a creative thought process.
- Provides a creative outlet: Color whatever you like, however you want, and let your creativity flow. Why not even color outside the lines? Invite friends to join you, chat away, and tap into your inner child’s playfulness!
- Helps you to unplug: Coloring is an uplifting way to unwind after a stressful day at work and unplug from the digital world.
Joyblz! Coloring Contest
Now we are challenging you to put adult coloring to the test, and as a little reward, we will be gifting one lucky winner a free sticker of their choice from the Joyblz! online shop. Get started and download your Joyblz! character here.
Color it in and be as creative as you want. Why not use some glitter pens? Send your entry to email@example.com. Contest ends November 6, 2020 at midnight PST. The winner will be contacted via email.
Here’s your joy-full activity for the week
Have fun coloring. We hope it will provide relaxation and you could even be the lucky winner of the contest!
Artistlz and I would love to hear about what you colored this week. Please leave your comments and joy-full responses below.
Note: To LEAVE A COMMENT, you will need to login to our website. If you have previously purchased a product, you will have received an email with your username and password. Otherwise, from the same login link above, click “Register”, and a username and password will be emailed to you. The only reason we ask you to sign in is to prevent unsolicited comments.
Thanks for the great coloring resources! You also are reminding me to find the mandala coloring book I have and put it in a place where I’ll remember to use it. Thanks to you and Artistlz for some great suggestions this month.