Welcome to the sixth “Jolt of Joy” newsletter. Last week, Artistlz shared some ways to get your creative juices flowing. We hope that you were inspired and did something creative. This week, we want you to let go of any self-judgment and worry and let your inner child’s creativity flow through you. It’s time to tap into your inner child with Artistlz!
Have you ever watched children draw, paint, or play pretend? It’s so magical, and to them anything is possible! They don’t have any anxiety about what they’re creating, who’s watching, or what the final product is going to be. Unfortunately, we lose that ability as we get older. We worry about what people are going to think. We get so wrapped up in what our creation will look like when it’s done that we prevent ourselves from even making the first mark. Ultimately, the best thing you can do to get your creative thoughts flowing is to reconnect with your inner child.
This past week, I did just that! One of my favorite toys when I was child was Spirograph and I loved drawing “weird spirals” using two circles (one inside the other). I set any inhibitions aside, let loose, and drew all kinds of colored spirals on my iPad. The image shown above is what I created. It felt so good to let my inner child come out and play! Continue reading to discover ways in which you can reconnect with your inner child to spark your creativity…
What is your Inner Child?
It’s the part of you that is pure, innocent and in a state of wonder towards the magical world around you. Just think back to your five-year-old self. Remember all the creative outlets you had. Did you make a mud pie, paint, sing a made up song, build a tower with Legos, or play with an imaginary friend?
Did you have an insatiable curiosity and boundless imagination? Was your inner child spontaneous and not self-conscious or fearful of making mistakes? Did you see possibility and magic everywhere? That magical way of thinking you had as a child often becomes hidden underneath the responsibilities and burdens of adult life. However, it is never truly gone. By allowing yourself to be a little silly and have fun, you can help reawaken your inner child.
Ways to Tap into your Inner Child’s Creativity
Artistlz wants to share some helpful tips on how you can tap into your inner child to unleash your creativity.
- Let your inner child be creative: Create whatever your inner child wants, even if it makes you feel embarrassed or ridiculous while doing it. If your inner child wants to make Play-Doh sculptures, finger paint, or build a fort, just do it!
- Eliminate perfectionism: If your inner child wants to color outside the lines and make a messy painting, do it with no self-judgment. Just create for the simple joy it brings you. Nothing needs to be “perfect!”
- Add some silliness to your day: Sing loudly, laugh until your belly hurts, dance, and skip around your house. Add a little more humor and spontaneity into your daily life!
- Let yourself be curious: Explore that new path, ask the questions you want to, and do some things without thinking.
- Believe in the imaginary: Cultivate that fun-loving and powerful imagination of your inner child and give it free rein.
Here’s your joy-full activity for the week
Tap into your playful, adventurous, silly inner child and find what feels good for yourself. Grab some crayons and a coloring book, write, paint, dance, sculpt, sing, or skip everywhere you go. Perhaps it will spark some creative ideas and most of all, be FUN!
Artistlz and I would love to hear how you reconnected with your inner child and what you created. Please leave your comments and joy-full responses below.
Note: To LEAVE A COMMENT, you will need to login to our website. If you have previously purchased a product, you will have received an email with your username and password. Otherwise, from the same login link above, click “Register”, and a username and password will be emailed to you. The only reason we ask you to sign in is to prevent unsolicited comments.